In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pantalones bombachos masculinopantalones de golf masculino
- Several male refugees packed plus fours in the belief that they constituted an essential part of a respectable Englishman's wardrobe.
- Since then he has exhibited worldwide - at overseas exhibitions he plays his Englishness to the hilt by turning up wearing plus fours and a deerstalker.
- His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales, arrived by train overnight, pulled on his plus fours and a beret, grabbed his shooting stick and headed for Carnoustie for the final day of the 1931 Open.
- He added that more and more businessmen are interested in donning plus fours and participating in a day's shooting.
- I walked into his office to find him dressed in his plus fours and swinging a nine iron.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.