In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Her heels sank into the plushy carpet and left little pinprick holes in the carpet weave as she pasted.
- She gestured at the soft plushy couches.
- When you entered the foyer it was like going into a different world: deep, luxurious carpets, soft lights, plushy seats, an atmosphere of opulence and glamour.
- There are plushy comfy cushioned couches for simply rotting away while listening to the crowd go wild.
- They walked into the spacious living room and Lizzy snuggled into the white, plushy sofa as Jane took a chair across from her and patiently waited for her to begin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.