In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1oso polar masculino
- Aside from humans, their principal enemies are the polar bear and killer whale.
- Given the large size of even subadult and young walrus, it is likely that only adult male polar bears would be able to exploit walrus as prey.
- Along the way passengers were treated to a daily dose of Arctic wildlife, including polar bears, whales and walrus.
- One of the earth's largest and most powerful carnivores, the polar bear is found in all the world's arctic seas and coastal lines.
- The tusks also aid in hauling out on slippery ice-floes and can be used as weapons against polar bears and killer whales and for killing seals.
- Big predator species such as the polar bear and wolf signify the biological health of the Arctic ecosystem.
- Come face to face with polar bears, walruses, harbour seals and beluga whales.
- Aside from sealers, their principal predators are Greenland sharks, killer whales, and polar bears.
- Prowling the ice pack, a polar bear hunts for seals during summer's thaw, or take advantage of the open water to seek food.
- The largest are the carnivorous polar bear, and arctic wolf and the herbivourous barren-land caribou and muskox.
- I flew over gigantic glaciers and stood on the frozen Arctic Ocean where polar bears walk in search of seal holes, and patiently wait for a meal.
- Along the way, there are little patches of rock, not even islands, more like mudflats, where there are birds, walruses and seals, and polar bears.
- A hundred other wildlife species, from polar bears to Arctic foxes, also rely on this unique wild jewel.
- If you doubt that, consider which bear will live more effectively if transported to the tropics - a polar bear or a black bear.
- Multiple bear species, including polar bears and grizzlies, have been crossbred in zoos.
- This spells bad news not only for Arctic peoples but for species like the polar bear, which hunts seals on the sea ice.
- The Inuit were cutting up a walrus and packing the meat when a polar bear just showed up from nowhere.
- That's how, years later, I ended up living side by side on this island with polar bears and walruses.
- I'd been meaning to write a piece on it for years, ever since I read that someone had made a panda out of a black bear and a polar bear.
- There are also caribou, wolves, walruses, polar bears and beluga whales.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.