In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ministers have said that the policy is an operational matter for police forces.
- Other police forces have travelled to Ireland to view the system but are not taking it on because of the cost.
- For example, consider cases involving fire services and police forces with an operational dimension to them.
- Neither would greater investment in our secret services and police forces be money wasted.
- All police forces would claim to use as little force as necessary.
- The problem is that not enough is being done by police forces in the States.
- He said the incidents of clashes between Aboriginal people and police forces are growing.
- Detectives from police forces across the country are sharing intelligence to piece together any leads.
- I think that it is wrong for any member to suggest that our police force is not one of the best police forces in the world.
- It was not justified in law and was a violation of the public's trust in its police forces and is at odds with common decency.
- The firm's identity is being kept a secret, along with two police forces who are also testing the device.
- That is, we have trained police forces ready to respond to violations of the law or disturbances of the peace.
- To confuse matters further, police forces operate autonomously and record crimes differently.
- UK police forces are more used to weathering heavy criticism over race-relations issues.
- It means that our police forces are hopelessly inept when it comes to applying detective work to modern communications.
- In addition, they have been hurt in raids by drug barons and by the actions of some police forces.
- We know about the problems the Australians have had with their police forces.
- Several police forces in Britain have adopted a missing child alert system in a bid to avert tragedy.
- The further I walked, the more senior the police forces started to look.
- Scottish and other police forces are finding more knives largely because they have made it their job to find more knives.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.