In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We have one pansy and a single polyanthus in bloom at home right now, a very poor showing, so I relished the massed blooms.
- And everywhere I look there are primulas and polyanthus showing their bright little flowers.
- Even on the most dismal of wet, windy days the quality of O'Meara's stock is apparent, from the dazzling display of winter colour polyanthus and camellias to the serried rows of bushes and trees, both bare-rooted and in containers.
- The polyanthus have been flowering since, ooh, October-ish, but the tiny narcissi began to bloom at the weekend.
- And there are planters full of winter and spring bulbs to be repositioned, along with troughs containing flowering polyanthus, showing the first signs of bud already.
- Golden Tears - a yellow trailing eschscholtzia or California poppy, suitable as ground cover or for a hanging basket - was also bred by T&M, as was Discovering Stripes, a striking darkly striped polyanthus.
- I found periwinkles and primroses in full flower, bluebells, just coming along nicely thank you, grape hyacinths, and polyanthus.
- The bright polyanthus around the edge of the grass were looking vulnerable.
- The pansies and polyanthus we've already planted seem to be tough little blighters, not much at risk.
- A sale of primrose and polyanthus will take place after 8 p.m. Mass on Saturday evening and Sunday morning in aid of the Graves Memorial Fund.
- Auriculas and polyanthus should be lifted, divided and replanted as they go out of flower.
- BDA have a limited number of potted polyanthus and primrose plants in full bloom for sale.
- There might have been dark clouds overhead but on the ground the magnificent colours of the hundreds of daffodils, grape hyacinths and polyanthus helped to dispel the gloom.
- Most gardeners know - and grow - primroses and polyanthus.
- Other jobs include dividing primulas and polyanthus once they have finished flowering.
- We motored over to the garden centre for winter flowering pansies and polyanthus.
- Divide primula and polyanthus after flowering, and move any that are badly placed.
- But the polyanthus are the ones that I'm finding irresistible.
- The polyanthus are among the earliest primroses in bloom; put them to work giving color power to the season's first outdoor container plantings.
- Especially as I look out the conservatory window at my garden at the moment; there are a few pansies, violas and polyanthus making a supreme effort but generally my garden looks decrepit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.