In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Students were assigned to three distinctive world views: monotheism, polytheism, and atheism.
- While insisting that he is profoundly anticlerical and anti-ecclesiastical, Rorty envisions a future America with quasi-churches serving a national religion of romantic polytheism.
- The nineteenth century notions of the evolution of religion from primitive animism to polytheism to monotheism have been falsified in tribe after tribe all over the world.
- The latter believed in caste system and untouchability, polytheism, idolatry, etc.
- This is not simply a clichéd clash between Islamic monotheism and Hindu polytheism as is made out in standard accounts on the subject.
- Atheism and polytheism are extremist distortions of this central truth.
- This concession to polytheism greatly pleased the pagans, and when Muhammad reached the last verse of the Sura, they joined in the prostration enjoined there.
- This is no place to discuss the relative virtues of monotheism and polytheism and their good or sinister influence upon the whole character, nay, the very life of individuals and nations.
- Avraham was trying to start the spread of monotheism in place of polytheism.
- The Jews were called to reject polytheism and worship the one God, the Creator, whose will is revealed in the Torah, which comprises the first five books of the Bible (also known as the Pentateuch) and which contains the Ten Commandments.
- Originally established as a response to polytheism and idol worship, Judaism has been quite successful in perpetuating its belief in monotheism in that it is the parent religion of both Christianity and Islam.
- Naturally, he regarded the pagan Platonists as mistaken in accepting polytheism, everlasting world-cycles, and the transmigration of souls.
- The ideological clash between monotheism and polytheism furnishes the world with one of its first examples of asymmetrical warfare.
- Atheism, skepticism, polytheism, materialism, pantheism, and impersonalism are by their nature contrary to love.
- To have your ultimate concern distributed in different directions is like polytheism - worship of many divinities.
- In a contest with polytheism, monotheism is likely to prevail, and one who comes to hold that many natural phenomena were created intentionally probably will come to believe in God.
- He purges them of all traces of polytheism, idol worship and superstition and all that is associated with these rituals, habits and traditions which are unworthy of man.
- When his followers are resistant to his demand to abandon polytheism and worship one God instead, he resorts to the cave where the angel has spoken to him before.
- Similarly, it knows nothing of ancestor worship, polytheism, diviners or demons, all of which are attested to in various forms in earlier Israelite popular religion.
- In many circles of the Qawwal, tribute is paid to the mystic in words that entail transgression in terms of polytheism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.