In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The pontiff died at the Vatican in Rome on Saturday, aged 84.
- Earlier today, outside Cologne, the pontiff celebrated mass with up to 1 million young people.
- Lay Catholics rarely petitioned their pontiff and never to suggest he take a certain stand on an issue.
- The late pontiff was also the first pope to step inside a synagogue in 1986 when he visited Rome's biggest synagogue.
- Only three other pontiffs have led the Catholic church for as long as he did.
- To the strains of an ancient crusader hymn, the princes of the church led the pontiff into the square.
- In a letter addressed to priests around the world, the pontiff said he was profoundly hurt by what he called the most grievous form of evil.
- The Pope made history yesterday by becoming the first pontiff to cross the Tiber to address the Italian parliament.
- The royal couple met with the new pontiff at the Vatican's summer residence in the Alban hills, south of Rome.
- Next to the ground was a papal cross, which commemorated a visit by the pontiff.
- He must arrange the funeral and burial of the Pope and direct the election of a new pontiff.
- The Vatican said the pontiff has been cured of the flu-related breathing problems that landed him there.
- He was also among the first world leaders to bend the knee before Pope Benedict XVI after the pontiff's elevation earlier this year.
- During the war and afterward, Jewish leaders lavishly praised the wartime pontiff.
- The pontiff called for a ‘resolute effort’ to resolve the plight of the refugees.
- In addition, the pontiff hopes to visit Syria, Malta and Poland next year, according to Vatican sources.
- The pontiff had invited her to the Vatican to talk about family planning.
- The last pope to hold the name of Benedict was an Italian whose reign from 1914 to 1922 encompassed World War I.
- Highly conservative in doctrine and bluntly liberal in his social views, the pontiff has galvanised the Church.
- Even then, the crowds at the Vatican were not certain they had a new pontiff until the bells of St Peter's rang out.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.