In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He also pooh-poohed suggestions that low-fare carriers are making traditional carriers obsolete.
- Granma went home and told her husband what the clairvoyant had said, but he pooh-poohed the idea, and so no action was taken.
- Some people pooh-pooh the idea, grumbling that Hollywood has run out of original ideas.
- He pooh-poohed the idea of running to the store to get pre-party and post-party supplies.
- When the late Nobel Laureate Luis Alvarez more than two decades ago proposed his theory that a comet or asteroid had done in the dinosaurs, paleontologists and many other scientists pooh-poohed the idea.
- Unmoved we stared at a load of cold, geometrical abstractions, pooh-poohed the idea of living in such a gallery and, on the brink of calling it a day, stoically suffered on.
- I spoke to Ben at the time, who pooh-poohed the idea.
- Microsoft and Telecom have pooh-poohed suggestions that consumers will be burned by broadband charges when using Microsoft's recently launched Xbox Live online gaming service…
- Schmidt begins by stressing the importance of collaborative decision making and pooh-poohing the idea of the visionary CEO as leader.
- Now coaching youngsters at grassroots level, she pooh-poohs the notion that one person's idea of realism should be allowed to suffocate another's dreams.
- Inside it's all creaky floorboards and wooden panelling, yet he pooh-poohs the idea of a ghost.
- My editors over the years had always pooh-poohed my suggestion for a media section or page as boring for readers, who'd see it as navel gazing.
- Historian Charles MacDonald has pooh-poohed the idea of a cover-up.
- ‘I'm reluctant to pooh-pooh the idea of true love, because it's such a treasured view in our culture,’ says Hazan.
- The current favourite among the newer generation of stars, Kapoor with a toss of her well shaped head pooh-poohs any suggestions of being the ‘dumb blonde’.
- My lust for life and overindulgence meant that I pooh-poohed the idea of taking seven days to detox - as a Londoner, I could do it in a single day.
- He also pooh-poohs the idea of auspicious days for starting house construction.
- Like those before him, Horowitz pooh-poohs the idea of a recalcitrant left waking up to the error of its anti-war protesting ways.
- Linguists pooh-pooh the idea that the original meaning of a term can somehow persist in the collective unconscious after it has been lost to individual recall.
- His doctor pooh-poohs the idea this may be due to any of the drugs he's taking.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.