In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That's why they're a bridge between abstract expressionism and pop art.
- Whether Asian Americans are buying traditional or contemporary, calligraphy on rice paper or pop art made from mixed media, they look for at least some reference to the Far East.
- Roy Lichtenstein's pop art paintings had an immediate and forceful impact on my 17 year old grandson.
- And just as artists' styles range from Norman Rockwell's homespun Americana to Andy Warhol's loud pop art, each of these skaters is genius in a different way.
- Victoriana, primitive painting, pop art and surrealism are among the traditions ripe to be picked up from along the way.
- Is it too much to expect art, even pop art, from a Tom Clancy movie?
- The exhibition features everything from portraits to pop art as well as landscapes and abstracts.
- His choice of synthetic polymer paint for these canvases enhanced their reference to pop art's mass-media sources.
- It is a wonderful piece for lovers of both racing and pop art, and the sale of this beautiful poster benefits a great cause.
- These trends point to a more complex reality than nineteenth-century realism, US pop art, or socialist realism in the East.
- Located in Centro Storico, you enter an extraordinary space decorated in all manner of colourful kitsch, with pop art and plastic furniture scattered around like it's Warhol's Factory.
- The 60s gave us the conversation pit, blow up furniture, pop art, and op-art while in the 70s any wall colour would do as long as it was brown.
- The pop art icon Warhol was also a religious man - a little known fact.
- For Hopkins to have fleshed out the story would have required a show five or six times this size, ranging freely across surrealism, pop art, performance and conceptualism.
- Part Norman Rockwell, part Andy Warhol, Segal's work has been tossed in to every category from American realism and pop art to social expressionism and figurative sculpture.
- Good to know that globalization has brought ‘It's not kitsch, it's pop art!’
- ‘Forms like pop art are more popular in Britain,’ Hall says.
- In the 60s, for instance, the technique of silk screens, previously used for commercial art, lent itself very much to pop art as used by Andy Warhol and Richard Hamilton.
- From pop art to modern irony, this type of comic has been sampled everywhere.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.