In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1popelina femeninopopelín masculino España
- The shirt range consists of solids in twills, poplins, structures, linens and checks, as well as slubs, dobbies and indigos in pleasing colours of the season.
- Enlisted men received the cotton poplin shirt in place of the heavier twill for wear with their tailored wool jackets.
- There is an air of chic relaxation in the classic linen, crisp poplin and delicate voiles shot against the rocks and pinewoods of Corsica.
- This season it is complemented by soft and muted colours while fabrics range from denim or cotton poplin through to linen, which looks lovely teamed with this summer's cool knitwear.
- Fabrics such as twill, poplin, canvas, suede, denim and wool are also available in a variety of styles.
- The fabrics include washed denims, soft poplins, heavy canvas, twills, and yarn-dyed plaids.
- Additionally, the designer has several basic styles and fabrications (mercerized cotton twill pants, stretch poplin blouses and T-shirts) that retailers request continuously.
- The firm also used coatings to add a papery touch to poplin and canvas.
- Wovens are available in base cloths, novelties, stretch poplins and twills.
- They included a paper-touch cotton batiste; cotton poplin with a water-repellent finish; and sheers in blends of viscose and nylon.
- A cotton poplin button-down shirt is the best thing to add to jeans in order to up the dressiness.
- There was a sale on in the shop just after Christmas, and I bought this groovy, beautifully cut shirt, hewn from the finest poplin, for about thirty quid.
- Fabric must be cotton or poplin, not shiny, silky or crinkly.
- Since the economic slowdown took hold in 2000, Ash City has moved the brand's price point down and expanded it to include fabrics beyond mercerized cottons - such as poplins and polynosics - to attract more customers.
- That sums up the designer's newest line, it's monochromatic approach tempered by what are, for men, daring fabrics such as taffeta and silk poplin.
- Leather is a key material for the season, along with parachute silk, cotton poplin, cotton canvas and shining silk.
- Fabrics include canvas in different weights, linens, cotton and silk poplins, piquets, silk canvas, shantung, cotton jersey and all the classic ‘suit’ fabrics.
- Examples include most bed, kitchen and bath linens, shirting, denim, poplin and other similar goods.
- Light and feminine fabrics such as satin crepe tulles and damasks combine with the fabrics found at work and in the masculine world - cottons, sail cloth, denim and poplin.
- By 1950 Japan was a force in the fine cotton poplin market and because of the quality and price Lichfield had to change its suppliers and buy from Japan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.