In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cerdo de matanza masculino
- Pigs were a little disappointing, averaging around 75p with more demand for the lightweight porkers.
- The porkers damage property, threaten domestic pig farms, and may be creating human health risks, critics say.
- Of the male pigs, only Snowball and Napoleon are boars (kept for breeding) and the others are porkers.
- Pigs are just holding on, with baconers running from 88-95p/kilo and the best porkers up to 102p/kilo.
- The pork trade has melted a little and baconers are running from around 90p/kilo upwards with lightweight porkers at 102p/kilo.
- Free-range pigs have shelters shaped as triangles or half circles, but most porkers were lurking inside; pine trees had snow plastered on the north side of their trunks and the hot sun on the south side.
- Lynn tells us the contests fall into these categories: ‘Shoulder, ribs, whole hogs and patio porkers.’
- The wildlife management practices that favor deer also support pigs; indeed, under favorable conditions, the free-ranging porkers can breed several times a year and rapidly overpopulate a given range.
- The government stood behind the university, promising the little porkers did not pose a public risk.
- Bacon pigs are making from 108p upwards and the top for lightweight porkers is around 115p/kilo.
- I shepherded porkers onto the truck that took them to slaughter.
- And it certainly seems to work on an East Yorkshire pig farm, where a rare-breed owner has turned his prize porkers into athletes.
- Corporate pig producers say they're developing a genetically-altered porker that produces a more environmentally-friendly manure.
- The days when any old pig-in-the-poke could be dressed up as a prize porker and floated on the stock market are long gone.
- Toy and sports shops in Bradford could soon be full of pig farmers who have been ordered to give their porkers something to play with.
- Pigs are moving along very nicely and baconers are priced from 103-108p/kilo with lighter weight porkers getting up to 112p/kilo.
- Bacon pigs are making from 95p upwards with the best of the lightweight porkers at around 104p.
- The pig trade has enjoyed its best festive boom for several years and the top porkers have made up to 120p/kilo.
- And Repenning says he had 448 of the porkers removed within the last year from the slough, although the efforts seem to have had little effect.
- Imperious piebald porkers parked in the middle of the roads challenge you to run over them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.