In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escudilla femeninotazón masculino
- Eddy slurped up what remained of his stew and sent his porringer down the table.
- Now a rare silver porringer - a small dish for soup or porridge - inscribed with the words ‘The gift of Sir Thomas Herbert’ is coming up for sale at the London auction house on October 11.
- Once that was finished, I was to start putting the stew into the porringers and ring the meal bell.
- Although porringers were often made of pewter, this specimen is a fragmentary shallow brass dish with a decorative handle that measured approximately 14 cm in diameter.
- One vessel, a stoneware porringer with twisted handles, painted cobalt blue, is a form uncommon for the time, and has not appeared at other American colonial sites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.