In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He did award posthumous medals of honor to the families of several soldiers on 22 April 1971 and on several other occasions.
- For others, however, the reasons for the posthumous fame are more complex.
- No more so, surely, than his concern for the posthumous publication of his works.
- The fact is Margaret never pretends to coherence despite her desire for posthumous fame.
- Bolingbroke's many posthumous publications excited intense controversy in the decade which immediately followed his death.
- But a campaign to have the men granted posthumous pardons has taken a dramatic turn.
- As he does so, however, he becomes concerned for his posthumous reputation.
- She was a genius and deserves a posthumous award of some kind.
- Maybe it's the proper term for being awarded a posthumous honorary doctorate.
- ‘I feel that a posthumous award of some kind would be most appropriate, although I am not sure that one exists,’ he said.
- In 1632, two of Shakespeare's fellow actors published the First Folio, a posthumous collection of his works.
- Her renown grew steadily after that, a large, posthumous retrospective of her work appearing at the Modern in 1972.
- The divemaster was granted a posthumous award.
- He was also honoured with a posthumous award for bravery.
- Two Bills are now dealing with matters of posthumous citizenship are before the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Both women achieved posthumous fame, but the facts of their deaths are vile.
- From soon after his death posthumous miracles had begun to be attributed to him, and he was officially canonised by Pope John XXII in 1320.
- Posthumous publications are ignored unless they constitute the first or a variant appearance of a poem.
- Instead they died in the line of duty and subsequently received posthumous citizenship amidst much fanfare and flag-waving.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.