In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The postman will shortly be delivering a stack of tax credit forms to the population of Britain.
- The question remains as to why the Royal Mail needs to use agency staff rather than employing full-time postmen.
- My dad's a postman and he delivers letters from all over the world.
- In the space of a few weeks in March, a number of incidents occurred including youths attacking a postman as he collected mail from the post box in the centre.
- He was employed as a delivery postman by the Post Office the respondents.
- What happens if someone writes the wrong address on an envelope, or the postman delivers the letter to the wrong door?
- Why does the postman deliver my junk mail to my neighbours house but always delivers the bills correctly?
- Well, our smiling postman recently delivered a letter to me that had my maiden name on it.
- That little red box at the end of the wall is the post box where the village postman collects (twice each day) all our outgoing mail.
- The problem arose after the postman delivering the postal votes demanded payment for them.
- The initiative is being introduced across the country and will result in 37,000 postmen who deliver their rounds on bike wearing the safety equipment.
- Mail for residents at the complex is normally left in the reception by a delivery driver for a postman to collect and deliver.
- The pouches are regularly used to store bags of mail until a postman collects them for delivery to nearby homes.
- No one is allowed into her home and the only person she ever sees is the postman delivering her letters.
- We never had this problem whenever the postman delivered our letters.
- Normally, customs will calculate the charges due at the point of entry in Ireland, and then it is left up to the postman or courier to collect the money.
- But some of the parcels will be too contaminated for the postmen and women to deliver.
- She also loved to receive letters and looked forward to the arrival of the postman or postwoman on a daily basis.
- The volume of mail that used to be delivered by three postmen is now on average being carried out by two.
- Irrespective of the changed communications world, a big community of postmen still delivers mails all over the city, door to door, sometimes on foot.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.