In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1apagón masculinocorte de luz masculinocorte de corriente masculinocorte de electricidad masculino
- The Ilkley train station ticket office was also closed during the power cut and the fare machine was out of service, but the trains continued to run on time.
- The Wednesday power cut is likely to be only the first of many as the state braces itself for the summer, when a legion of air conditioners is switched on.
- Householders were told to stay inside after toxic fumes escaped from a Shipley electronics firm last night after a power cut.
- The power cut came two weeks after a massive blackout brought the north east coast of America to its knees.
- Not every shop affected by the power cut had to close.
- But Canadian naval officials said the problem was electrical and had been preceded by a power cut.
- Two workers were rushed to hospital with burns after cutting through a power cable and causing a power cut in the town centre.
- In Burnley, homes and businesses were briefly left without electricity after a power cut.
- It wasn't a power cut as the monitor light was still on.
- Not last night, but the night before, we had a power cut.
- If your report is correct, it was caused by a power cut.
- An elderly woman who was left without electricity for more than 16 hours following a power cut has said she fears for her life in case it happens again.
- This can mean everything from a power cut to network problems to electrical problems with the equipment.
- It is thought the clock stopped during a power cut on New Year's Eve but yesterday, five days later, the hands were still stuck at five to 11.
- Similarly, the power cut on rural domestic supply has been decreased from 10 hours to six hours.
- Internet voice calling doesn't have its own power supply, meaning no service in a power cut.
- Around 40,000 homes and businesses across the Hyndburn and Burnley areas were affected by a power cut in the early hours of today.
- If you live outside the UK you may be unaware that London suffered a power cut last night paralysing most of the Tube and all rail lines in South London.
- I suppose I'm just lucky that the clients are dimmer than painted-over lightbulbs during a power cut.
- There was a long rigmarole with automated telephone answering; I couldn't once speak to a human being to report the power cut.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.