In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1perro de las praderas masculino
- The ferret's survival has forever been entwined with that of the prairie dog, a foot-tall rodent that makes up about 90 percent of the predator's diet.
- A current example is the black-tailed prairie dog, which has been reduced to less than one percent of its historic range of 100 million acres and is in grave danger of extinction.
- For example, the prairie dog is a tremendous pest throughout the Western United States.
- Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.
- A hawk hid under the potentilla bush and leaped suddenly on an overconfident prairie dog a little too far from its burrow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.