In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There will be a precautionary inspection at Southwell at 7.30 am tomorrow to decide if racing can go ahead there.
- On another occasion, I was much more inclined to resist a precautionary procedure.
- We do all sorts of precautionary things to give ourselves a sense of control.
- We must always take the correct precautionary measures to assure the safety of our children.
- We are therefore distributing a list of common-sense precautionary safety measures.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.