In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Next year the Times Literary Supplement, the pre-eminent British literary periodical, is 100 years old.
- The two pre-eminent experts at giving directions are my flatmate Mike and my father.
- The Taj Mahal, in spite of its pre-eminent position in our heritage hierarchy, has not escaped this fate either.
- Latterly, he became the pre-eminent expert on Egyptian inscriptions.
- I questioned a prominent economist from one of the country's pre-eminent economic institutions.
- Margery Allingham is pre-eminent among the writers who brought the detective story to maturity in the decades between the two world wars.
- Scott Joplin is regarded as the pre-eminent composer of ragtime compositions.
- We asked William Diamond, pre-eminent expert in international taxation, for his picks.
- But the survey revealed that the Mosque is losing its pre-eminent position as a great learning center.
- It enjoyed a pre-eminent importance within the context of the federal building program in Dawson.
- Since the 18th century, the Orange Order has been the pre-eminent social and political forum for Protestants.
- He's the world's pre-eminent expert on psychopathy and a regular advisor to the FBI.
- Yet the long history of the Bank and its pre-eminent position in the City of London meant that its views had an authority and weight belied by the legal position.
- Robert Blatchford, a former North Yorkshire policeman, is now one of the region's pre-eminent genealogists.
- Robert Parker, the pre-eminent American, falls into this group of experts.
- One of the pre-eminent landscape architects of her day, Gertrude Jekyll, did the landscaping side of the work.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.