In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- China has five major autonomous regions, which include 30 autonomous prefectures and 120 autonomous counties.
- There are forty-three ordinary prefectures, three metropolitan prefectures with special administrative powers, and one administrative region for the northernmost island.
- In 1905 the islands were ‘incorporated’ into the Japanese Empire, when the Governor of Shimane prefecture stated that the islands were under the juristiction of the Shimane prefectural government.
- But first an application has to be made to the local prefecture (police authority) with a mountain of paperwork involved.
- The country is divided into 47 prefectures, each with a governor.
- Her inquiries included evidence being laid before the judge at first instance of correspondence between herself and appropriate medical authorities in the prefecture that included Salonika and her village and areas.
- Nagano Prefecture was brought into the limelight with the successful 1998 Winter Olympics which were held at various locations in the prefecture.
- The Okinawa prefecture was in fact under direct U.S. military administration from 1945 to 1972, when it was handed over to the Japanese.
- The quake was most strongly felt in Aomori and Iwate, the two farthest-north prefectures on Japan's main island of Honshu.
- The island prefecture of Okinawa has the most centenarians per population, and the official attributed this to the subtropical climate.
- The AM signal is heard throughout the island prefecture - and beyond.
- Of the country's (Japan's) 47 prefectures, 44 are net recipients of government subsidies.
- These might look ordinary trees, but they are in fact a very special present from the governor of the Nara prefecture in Japan.
- Some roads were blocked off due to mudslides in Kochi Prefecture, and about 1200 houses in Kagawa and nearby prefectures on Shikoku were left without electricity, Kyodo News reported.
- Takamatsu, in the prefecture of Kagawa, on the island of Shikoku, to the south of Japan is to noodle lovers what Mecca is to Muslims.
- One of his first tasks after buying a dilapidated farmhouse in the Chiba prefecture, about 60 miles east of Tokyo, was to build a huge wooden bathtub.
- Typhoon Khanun was located about 70 kilometers south of Miyako Island in the prefecture as of 3 p.m. Saturday and was heading northwest at 25 km per hour, the agency said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.