In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I think Benji had fun over his birthday, he certainly got millions of lovely cards and some nice pressies.
- I'm taking the afternoon off to eat lunch at our favourite restaurant (if we can fit it in after our mid-morning indulgences), and then go buy myself a birthday prezzie.
- Well, I did buy one Christmas pressie and Mum bought a birthday pressie but apart from that nothing.
- She's at St. Richards maternity ward if anyone wants to visit and take prezzies!
- If you're looking for Christmas pressies that don't take up much space, or for someone who really does have everything, then I can thoroughly recommend the new breed of catalogues which ship your gift to someone who needs it.
- I would love to claim that I'm far too mature and sensible to need birthday pressies - but the simple truth is that I'm far more shallow than I care to admit!
- Last night we gave Dad a lift over to my Brother's to take his birthday pressies.
- Now it's off to try and fix the garden fence (which as mysteriously fallen down though I haven't noticed much wind of late) before wrapping Xmas pressies and heading off for five days of family Xmas joy.
- There is now quite a nice little stack of birthday pressies in the corner of the bedroom.
- I had some cards and a pressie waiting for me in the post.
- A refuge worker who called in to collect the pressies was overjoyed.
- With special offers on beauty products and a wide range of flowers, plants, confectionery, gifts, cakes and wine, if you're struggling to decide on the perfect prezzie, gift vouchers could be the solution.
- ‘Nan gets lots of pressies because of being 95 and is inundated with gifts,’ said Jackie.
- So I ended up with a much higher salary, 4 weeks off, and leaving pressies - can't argue with that.
- This would be great for my Mother as a light-hearted pressie to go with her card, so I purchased it.
- I still think it was a lovely gesture on the part of my folks to give it to me, and it's still one of the best birthday prezzies ever.
- A group of ex-pats had clubbed together to provide pressies for an orphanage in town and we showed up (with Santa) to deliver.
- This week has been a good one, I got birthday pressies that were totally unexpected, I got stuff I bought off e-bay, and I have been nominated for president.
- If you fancy exchanging separate prezzies, check out what's on offer for men beyond the socks-and-cufflinks variety.
- Yesterday, I went shopping for Xmas prezzies and ended up buying myself a karaoke machine instead.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.