In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The city was bristling with activity, traders, merchants, priests and priestesses.
- For most indigenous religions, priests and priestesses are common.
- Lesser priests and priestesses serve the shrines of fetishes, minor spirits, and focus on cures and magic charms.
- I knew she was a Wiccan priestess, and she seemed so open and so comfortable with what she was.
- I think it's important to anticipate the kinds of needs that may confront us as we emerge as trained priestesses and priests.
- They were believed to communicate with priests and priestesses at shrines called oracles.
- The royal family ate on the dais, along with the high priests and priestesses.
- Beyond the hordes of robed priests and priestesses, there were villagers.
- To the priests and priestesses of Illi-Tay-Ynnaudraurios, each year was the time from one harvest to the next.
- It was an old fortress that had been turned into a school for young children singled out to become priests and priestesses.
- The priestesses and priests became very concerned and knew it was time for some of them to leave if they had any hope of keeping any of their Divine energy intact.
- Frodo is a priestess of the Goddess and both a Dianic Wiccan and Ecofeminist Christian.
- Her parents called on a voodoo priestess to help her, after all traditional medicines had failed.
- The decree requires that the priests and priestesses of Kolophon visit the altars in the old agora to acknowledge the ties between the old site and the current site of the city.
- Oracles or priestesses in Zra'Thani were beautiful, tall women clothed in the finest of spider silk.
- She may have simply been a priestess, though priestesses often wore dark robes.
- There must be priestesses as well as priests, just as there were in the ancient days.
- We assume that we are all goddesses, all priestesses, and all teachers in that we all have our lessons to teach.
- Then the music stopped and the high priestess appeared followed by the several priestesses who attended her.
- The priests and priestesses in Apollo's house of worship burnt incense and led the morning chant to honour the Sun God.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.