In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He therefore persuaded the primate of Numidia to consecrate Augustine to be coadjutor bishop of Hippo.
- I became a priest, then a bishop, then a primate.
- Dr Williams has summoned the top 38 leading bishops, or primates, from across the world for a meeting in London in October.
- His views were borne out by letters of support from two Catholic bishops, the Church of Ireland primate and the Presbyterian Church.
- Catholic primate Archbishop Sean Brady will officiate at this morning's Mass in St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh.
- An opposable thumb is generally seen as a defining characteristic of primates, but in spider monkeys it is greatly reduced or entirely absent.
- Besides eating fruit, primates consume leaves, nuts, insects, and other prey.
- Until now, babbling had been observed only in humans and a few primates, such as pygmy marmosets.
- One of the world's most diverse primates, lemurs range in size from a mouse to a medium-size dog.
- As for the primates such as monkeys and baboons, the main effect of the high temperatures is that they lose their appetites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.