In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1primer meridiano masculinomeridiano inicial masculinomeridiano de origen masculinomeridiano cero masculino
- On the earliest charts displaying a longitude scale, the prime meridian passed through the Canaries.
- In this sense London marked the prime meridian in a cultural cartography too - a global chronocultural geography.
- In a strong sense, then, a fiddler crab's frame of reference - the equator and prime meridian of its entire world - is centered on its burrow.
- The prime meridian is the line which runs through Greenwich Observatory and is used globally as a standard ‘zero’ point.
- Key amongst the equipment here was the transit telescope, angled to move only up and down, and from 1750 it was this telescope that defined Britain's prime meridian.
- The first prime meridian was established by Hipparchus of Rhodes in the 2nd century BC.
- Fourthly, lights out in this wing is extended from the ten thirty curfew that was given to you before your acceptance into this team, to eleven o'clock prime meridian.
- Seventeenth century navigators could tell local time from the position of the Sun, but to determine their longitude, they needed also to know the time at a fixed reference point, i.e. Greenwich, the location of the prime meridian.
- And it's where time itself starts, being the site of the prime meridian, Greenwich Mean Time or degrees longitude, depending on what you prefer.
- Only on the fine line of the prime meridian, on that ‘great Greenwich hill and tower’ of the celestial seat, will chronometrical time be the ‘right time.
- This forthcoming transit is centered on about 08: 20, Universal Time (UT: the standard time for the prime meridian passing through the Greenwich Observatory in London, England).
- The prime meridian is the line that separates geographic east from west on the globe.
- Because of Britain's sustained support for achievements in astronomical and navigational measurement, the Royal Observatory Greenwich landed the prime meridian.
- Zero degrees longitude, the prime meridian could be anywhere - and has been, from the designated home ports of Rome to Paris to Jerusalem to Philadelphia to St. Petersburg.
- That's the instant the sun is aligned with the degree line of longitude, or the prime meridian - also called the Greenwich Meridian.
- But the creation of the prime meridian helped set international standards for how time is measured, for when a day begins and ends - even for how long an hour is.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.