In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His son Prince Albert spent his first day as regent of Monaco caring for his critically ill father who still holds the throne of the tiny principality.
- The Monte Carlo Rally is based high up in the mountains above the famous principality, and consists of twisty asphalt roads that are normally covered in ice and snow.
- Machiavelli also mentions the ecclesiastical principality with the pope as the ecclesiastical prince.
- Hilti has its headquarters in Liechtenstein, a principality in Europe, near Switzerland and Austria.
- National Day, 19 November, celebrates Monaco's independence as a principality.
- For centuries, Salzburg was an independent principality and only became part of Austria in the early nineteenth century.
- The king's tower in the castle, seat of government in the principality, was decorated with imperial eagles.
- He was of noble birth and inherited the principality of Venosa on his father's death in 1586.
- A line was drawn from Chester down to the Severn estuary, roughly following the English border, but the principality had vanished into the Irish Sea.
- Except for a brief period of French rule under Napoleon, the principality has been independent since 1912.
- The prince is to start visiting Holyrood for blocks of up to five days, just as he has done in his Welsh principality for the past five years, finding that has more impact.
- The principality of Andorra, perched between France and Spain, is one of the most popular destinations for European skiers.
- We came to the smallest principality in Europe as backpackers, not on business.
- Monaco still remains a principality that follows primogeniture, meaning that males take precedence over females in the line of succession.
- Sometimes a Hungarian principality, Transylvania was primarily a part of the Hungarian Empire.
- Machiavelli identifies two ways of governing a principality.
- Whatever the state of his personal life, the Prince works hard for his country and appears quite capable of running the principality.
- Perched on a rock, the palace overlooks the principality that Rainier ruled for 56 years.
- An inhabitant of the principality, he knows the track well and as one of the fittest and more experienced drivers, he has been a consistently high performer there recently.
- Cologne became a principality in 925, when Otto I invested its Archbishop, his brother Bruno, with the authority of count.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.