1.1(basic fact, law)principio masculinoI work on the principle that nothing is impossible — yo parto de la base de que nada es imposible
- on that principle — sobre esa base
- to start from first principles — empezar por lo básico / por los principios fundamentales
- to go back to first principles — volver a lo básico / a los principios fundamentales
- Yet, that was the age of levers and pulleys, and machines based on mechanical principles were being used as analog computers in many different ways.
- The assumption is that these principles of justice underlie any conception of the good.
- What are some of the basic principles and beliefs of Catholicism?
- It is a fundamental principle in our system of justice that people are treated the same, regardless of their income or status in life, and it is important to uphold that.
- And yet, of course, our principles of fairness and justice must be upheld.
- One of the basic principles of a democratic, liberal country is the decentralization of power.
- In this introductory article, we lay out some basic principles for understanding complex systems.
- The freedom to make a choice is the basic principle of our democratic world.
- In my tale, I set out the metaphysical principles, i.e. principles outside the closed system of the ethics being discussed, on which the ethics are based.
- The challenge to their leadership is to have the courage to support basic democratic principles, only excluding those, who by their actions exclude themselves.
- Although its application was inevitably uneven, the Code Napoléon was intended to serve as a universal set of principles founded on reason.
- There's sense here in going back to some of the basic principles of liberal political philosophy.
- Mbemba designed the machine around the mathematical principle of the sinuskurve, or sine wave.
- Draconian provisions which alter the principles and foundation of our legal system may serve in the long run to undermine that system and give rise to perfidies not initially contemplated.
- The principles of natural law gained ground, and accompanying them came a growing belief in the equality of all human beings.
- However, back then, explanations that were given to the general public regarding the actual principle of the flying machine appeared to be quite vague.
- He might have used mechanical aids such as Alberti's veil, the various gadgets illustrated by Durer, or other machines following similar principles.
- Following the enlightenment principle of truth through reason alone, it was thought that history cannot be determined until theology has been removed.
- It is a fraternal order whose basic principles are philanthropy, truth and brotherly love.
- The basic principle for a democratic republic is the independence of the three branches of government executive, legislature and judiciary.
- It is simply not possible to negotiate a political settlement with people who do not understand, or who refuse to accept, basic democratic principles.
- But it was only with the publication of Filangieri's great work that a comprehensive reformulation of the nature and underlying principles of the state and of society finally emerged.
- The principles underlying steam power, machine tools, and mass production were less familiar, hence less transparent.
- This is a foundation principle of western justice and a basic human right.
- The evenly balanced scales of blind justice derive from this principle.
- He adopted a new basis for hydrostatics, using two principles from his mechanics, and explained for the first time how a heavy beam can be floated in very little water.
1.2(motive force)principio masculinothe pleasure principle — el principio de placer
- If you can forsake your fundamental principles for any reason then you are not the kind of person who can take the country forward.
- Law, in the sense of rules and principles that govern human conduct, is a blunt instrument.
- But I'm going to speak directly from the heart based on the principles that I believe in.
- Commonly, the codes will address certain principles, and these will be governed by written rules.
- Rarely have I encountered anyone as passionate and determined in his principles as Donald Bruce, a true patriot and a man who led a remarkable life.
- These principles have governed Snow's approach in growing the family business tenfold since he took the reins in the mid 1980s.
- Doing what's right appears to be more of a concern for him than for the average person; his platform is strongly governed by his personal principles.
- There are three key defining experiences in my life that form the foundation of my principles and beliefs.
- Although some aspects of suicidal behaviour might be interpreted as rational, the behaviour is contrary to basic biological principles of survival.
2(rule of conduct)principio masculinoa man/woman of (high) principle — un hombre/una mujer de principios
- it was a matter of principle — era una cuestión de principios
- I never borrow money, on principle or as a matter of principle — nunca pido dinero prestado, por principio
- to have no principles — no tener principios
- it is against my principles — va contra mis principios
- she's always lived up to her principles — siempre ha sido consecuente con sus principios
- it's the principle of the thing — es una cuestión de principios