In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(jail)prisión femeninocárcel femenino(system/reform) (before noun) carcelario(system/reform) (before noun) penitenciario(yard) de la prisiónshe's in prison — está en la cárcel
- he was sent to prison for … — lo encarcelaron / lo metieron preso por …
- her accomplice went to prison for five years — su cómplice fue condenado a cinco años de prisión
- he was released from prison — fue excarcelado
- prison guard / (British) warder — guardia
- prison population — población penitenciaria
- prison staff — personal penitenciario
- prison visitor — visitante de la cárcel
- We have all heard the stories about what prisons are like, I don't believe in prison being a totally horrific place, but I do think it has to be a bit more of a deterrent.
- These homes are built for children whose parents are in prison serving life sentences!
- They are in prison surrounded by people, but prisons are the loneliest places on earth.
- It can only review the cases of prisoners serving a prison sentence of eight years or more.
- The significance of this duty to those detained in prison, not least where prisons are crowded and prisoners often dangerous, is obvious.
- The prisoners are in prison because they are presumed to have been properly convicted.
- Texas, the leader in prisons and capital punishment nationwide, had 534,260 on parole or probation.
- She had earlier spent several months in the prison on remand while awaiting trial.
- In rare cases a life sentence may mean life in prison, but such cases are very rare.
- And it would not even be necessary for the suspect to commit a crime for them to face a prison sentence.
- He was currently in prison on remand pending trial for conspiracy to murder.
- I was told that Mr Young is in prison in the USA awaiting trial on charges of fraud.
- I had been in local prisons, but then I landed up in prison far away from my own home.
- It was at the forefront of opposing capital punishment and demanding prison reform.
- In some cases the prison regime may be a contributory factor in a prisoner's decision to end his own life.
- Gansler added that Tyson should still be in prison for the crimes he has committed.
- Relatively more mentally ill people end up in prisons as the prison population diminishes.
- The number of people serving life sentences in British prisons, revealed by the Prison Reform Trust.
- People who have been in prison and who visit prisons will be with us.
- Prisoners in high security prisons are (given the risks they pose in general) routinely subject to strip searches.
2(imprisonment)prisión femeninocárcel femeninoafter 15 years of prison — después de 15 años de prisión / de cárcel
- before noun prison sentence / term — pena de prisión
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.