In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This long period of study, which exercised a decisive influence on his life and outlook, was rendered possible by a modest private income, combined with simple living and abstemious habits.
- Regarded as Ireland's first Modernist painter, O'Conor enjoyed the luxury of a private income.
- Her parents had been forced to downsize the stately to a humble manor house and her private income was minimal.
- His private income enabled him to travel on geological excursions virtually every year, visiting much of Europe in pursuit of stratigraphical successions reaching further and further back in geological time.
- By losing his private income and his ‘expectations' Pip does not experience a drop in social status.
- Apart from his literary earnings, his appointments at Vienna and Turin had left him ‘master of near a thousand Pound’ and his sister had a small private income of £30 to add to his £50.
- When Churchill became a second lieutenant in the British cavalry in 1895 his pay was £120 a year but a private income of at least double that was necessary to maintain horses and equipment.
- He lived lavishly at university and, despite his private income, frequently sent to his uncle William for additional funds.
- Delacroix received an upper-class education at the Lycée Impériale in Paris, and for the first few years of his adult life enjoyed a private income, before the family fortunes were ruined by lawsuits over property.
- By the early 1950s Minton, with his private income, flamboyant personality and prodigious talent, was a celebrity in the mould of today's Britart pack.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.