In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ligustro masculinoalheña femenino
- Foot long panicles of creamy blooms arrive in June with a scent that reminds me of privet.
- Chinese privet is present in eight of the 16 management areas surveyed.
- When you plant a new hedge, prune vigorous shrubs, such as privet, by reducing the length of the branches and shrub height by one-fourth to one-third.
- The front garden, behind the privet, was clipped to within an inch of its life, with a single standard rose in the dead centre.
- Plants such as privet or barberry need severe pruning immediately after planting and at the beginning of the second year to make them bushy.
- And every so often, despised water descended from the sky, flooding the hollows under the privet where he preferred to lie before an owl swooped from nowhere one night and carried him away.
- The overstory and understory are dominated by hackberry and privet, respectively.
- He thought he saw a shadow move beneath the privet, but put it down to his paranoia and drew in a sharp breath.
- It's a technique that can be applied not only to yew but also to beech, privet, holly, hornbeam and box.
- Instead of a privet hedge, why not train apple trees to clothe a lattice?
- There is parking in the communal gardens, which has a curving driveway, mature trees and shrubs, all bordered by a privet hedge.
- Is it a fad, or an unscrupulous plot against favorite exotic ornamentals like privet or barberry, or perhaps a revelation borne from scrutinizing eyes on the workings of our natural world?
- It had been a lilac, possibly, or an ancient privet.
- Raspberry, blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes had died, the privet hedge would soon be gone and vegetables wouldn't grow in the garden, only one of two affected.
- The planting included oak, ash, crab-apple, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, privet and dogwood and down by the ponds in River Field two areas of willows were planted.
- Swirling robins and starlings competed for the red berries of the barberry and the blue berries of the privet.
- Chinese privet is most abundant along margins of gravel and paved roads, where it often forms dense, impenetrable stands with relatively dark understories.
- Cut leafless stems of rose, abelia, bridal wreath, privet and other plants into 8-to - 10-inch lengths and set them directly in the propagation bed or container.
- The front garden includes an evergreen magnolia, topiary spirals in pots, standard privets as well as hardy plantings in terracotta pots.
- Yaupon and privet together constitute 86-96% of total fruit eaten by Hermit Thrushes at our study sites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.