In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(raise in rank)(employee) ascender(officer/public employee) ascender(public employee/officer) promoverhe was promoted (to) supervisor/colonel — lo ascendieron a supervisor/coronel
- In 1993, he was promoted to deputy director general of the department.
- Indigenous people were promoted to leading positions in the state and communist parties, and given preference for employment over Russians.
- Only when every company truly promotes on the basis of merit can we ignore gender in the workplace.
- He was to remain at MIT, being promoted to assistant professor in 1925.
- Here he was promoted to captain at the age of 29 and commanded a battleship.
- He was promoted to his current position in 1998.
- Recalled to his old regiment at the outbreak of the war, he was rapidly promoted to the rank of lieutenant and then captain.
- By 1969 he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General.
- Your ambitious nature will be rewarded as you are promoted to a prominent position in your profession.
- In May 2003, he was promoted to the highest rank of cadet officer.
- As of this moment, you will be promoted to the rank of Colonel.
- In April 1974 she was promoted to the position of driver, where she remained until her retirement earlier this year.
- He was promoted to the rank of Captain the following year.
- Don't be sad, he was promoted to the position of President and Chief Executive Officer on March 1, 1975.
- In September 1965 she was promoted to the rank of sergeant.
- Only two months ago he was promoted to the rank of corporal.
- Robbie was also promoted to the rank of Assistant Commander.
- Maupin was recently promoted to Sergeant, his second promotion since his capture.
- They were newly promoted to division presidents, in preparation for splitting the company into two separate publicly traded entities.
- He became a pilot in 1921 and was eventually promoted to lieutenant colonel during World War II.
1.2US Escuelapromovershe was promoted to fifth grade — pasó / fue promovida a quinto
1.3BritishUnited were promoted to the Second Division — United subió / ascendió a segunda división
2.1(encourage)(research/good relations) promover(research/good relations) fomentar(good relations/research) potenciar(peace/free trade) promover(peace/free trade) fomentar(growth) estimular
- I wish Croydon Council would actively encourage and promote the development of roof gardens in the borough.
- Ironically, formula companies promote breastfeeding, fund breastfeeding research, and keep breastfeeding statistics.
- What information has the Minister received on initiatives that are taking place this week to promote breastfeeding?
- Tang said the government is actively promoting competition by allowing more oil companies to become established in Hong Kong and encouraging the opening of more petrol stations.
- We can support research into methods to effectively promote abstinence.
- Meanwhile, many non-governmental organizations are also promoting sustainable development.
- We will work on the establishment of a structure in which Japan can more actively promote international peace cooperation.
- A planning officer should encourage and promote development within set parameters.
- I was employed as a shift supervisor and was expected to have my crew work with unsafe equipment and this was actively encouraged and promoted by the site manager and foreman.
- Are you aware of other international organizations which promote democracy and freedom?
- We want to encourage, celebrate, support and promote youth volunteerism in our community.
- Her work is to promote breastfeeding through working with the health boards' public health divisions.
- I never saw a BBC journalist actively promote his own political agenda.
- Used externally or internally, turmeric promotes healing in cases of trauma or injury.
- Lastly, echinacea, goldenseal and alfalfa may alleviate symptoms and promote healing.
- The European Commission is actively encouraging member states to promote the early teaching of languages.
- The US government also promotes their own political agenda through funding for international aid organizations.
- Do you promote recycling as a form of responsible waste disposal?
- I would encourage our council to actively promote our communities' financial obligations, goals and long-term vision.
- To promote flowering, apply a complete fertilizer in late winter or early spring.
3.1(service/product) promocionar(product/service) dar(le) publicidad aa tour to promote their latest album — una gira para dar(le) publicidad a / para promocionar su último álbum
3.2(concert/boxing match) organizar
- For instance, The Body Shop produces and promotes its product lines with environmental and social sensitivity as a major theme.
- They want to know how exactly you are going to use their cash to promote the product in the marketplace.
- No one can promote American products better than Americans.
- E-Business City has been created exclusively for retailers to promote their web-based products and services.
- They heavily promote their own products and when customers don't buy them, they become rude.
- Advertisers are hired to promote these products and services to specific markets based on a careful calculation of a target population's propensity to consume.
- A special ‘Wall of Values’ at the front of the store promotes products on sale each week.
- Our technical experts at the lab also work with our sales force to promote our products and to help our customers improve their products as well.
- Several companies are hoping airlines will allow advertisers to promote products on the airplanes themselves, specifically on tray tables.
- In New South Wales, two major advertising campaigns are currently promoting awareness of occupational health and safety issues.
- His face has been used to promote numerous products, ranging from Guinness stout to Newbridge watches.
- A dealer can buy from various distributors, and we're supporting it with real incentives to encourage distributor sales people to promote the product.
- Instead of getting a star to promote a product, he wondered, why not have the star launch the product?
- Choosing the right mix of advertising media to promote your products and services has never been more important
- The mortgage company has launched a large advertising campaign to promote the product, First Start Mortgage.
- Hamilton believes that the pros of using celebrities to promote products tend to far outweigh the cons.
- He said the show will offer the ideal business vehicle and an excellent opportunity for all in business to market and promote their products and services.
- In cases such as the launch of a new brand of cigarette, sales promotion events are sometimes the only vehicle used to promote the product, primarily due to the limitations placed on advertising the product.
- If it goes according to plan, these clients will advertise on the shows created and produced by the partnership as well as promote their products and services in the programs.
- They stay on message, find mistakes, and promote their product.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.