In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The pronunciation of Chinese surnames can induce mild identity crisis.
- An acronym, after all, is a word whose full meaning is concealed by its pronunciation.
- A key point is that the primary coding scheme is based on pronunciation rather than on spelling.
- This, of course, further enhanced the divisions in speech and pronunciation between the north and south of England.
- You should speak it well, complete with the right pronunciation and intonation.
- Correct pronunciation and proper use of words will enhance language skills.
- After his pronunciation, they heard the front door open and voices echo down the hall.
- Expecting Frenchmen to alter their pronunciation of a French name would be ludicrous.
- Surely you are not going to allow the French to determine the pronunciation of English words!
- After reading, judges check on their pronunciation, accent, posture and eye contact.
- She heard it again, as she winced at the awful pronunciation of her last name.
- When she told Joseph, he nodded, and corrected her pronunciation.
- Like any other comparable dictionary worth its name, it does contain words, pronunciations, parts of speech, meanings and examples, which form the core of the volume.
- Read to children and have them read to you - they will benefit from word recognition and pronunciation.
- It was an accent or a hiccup in her pronunciation that made all the difference.
- Babies are also subjected to exaggerated pronunciation of vowels.
- A dictionary is also a good resource for the proper pronunciation of words.
- This girl is so concerned with pronunciation, you almost can't get by the words to hear the music in the song.
- I noticed the slightly different pronunciation, and spotted it as sounding French.
- Her voice was a quiet growl, her pronunciation of each word a blunt edge ripping into him.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.