In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1profeta masculinoprofetisa femeninothe prophets of doom — los catastrofistas / agoreros
- There are still those who refuse to believe the prophets of doom.
- For him, artists at their best are like Romantic heroes engaged with insurmountable crises or like prophets of a gauzy future.
- It just goes to show that the prophets of doom never sleep.
- Which of our revered and vastly over-paid technology prophets predicted that people would be able to earn money sending text messages from their mobile phones?
- These historians have set themselves up as prophets blessed with a vision denied to ordinary Australians.
- At times, prophets were called to predict the future.
- It does not need a prophet to predict that history presented that way will encourage many readers to dig deeper.
- Then, just as it seemed the prophets were predicting a dire season for Melrose, the Greenyards men produced arguably the best try of the game.
- This novel proves that he is not only a literary Goliath, but also a modern-day prophet who has his fingers on the pulse of the contemporary world, able to predict its vital beats.
- Throughout human history there had always been self-proclaimed prophets who have predicted the end of the world.
- It is the prophet's and visionary's belief that poetry expresses truth, even at the expense of beauty.
- World crude oil prices have not risen with ‘free market’ supply and demand, confounding all the prophets of doom or boom.
- It means accepting and hoping that the doors of the future should be wide open to the present beyond all the failures, declines, and catastrophes predicted by strange prophets.
- But her detractors are wrong in demanding that she have both an artist's vision and a prophet's precognition.
- This is what the prophets of doom have been waiting for.
- Worse yet, we play prophets, trying to predict what might or might not be going on in the minds of complex men and what might happen as a result.
- On that Great Day of which prophets speak but in which they do not truly believe, on that day when the world is completely cleansed of evil, then I, too, will go down into darkness, swallowing curses.
- You don't have to be a prophet to predict what happens next.
- At key moments in her writing, it is clear that she recognized herself as a visionary and a prophet of the first order.
- He has annexed citizens' goodwill, not in fiscal speak but in a prophet's rhetoric, or even a poet's.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.