In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In May 1794 the Dublin Society was included in the wave of proscription which was then afflicting most anti-government organizations.
- He also suggested the government remove the entire part concerning the proscription of local organisations found to be endangering national security.
- Both sets of norms rest ultimately upon a fundamental principle of proscription concerning the infliction of militarily ' unnecessary suffering '.
- The offences under sections 11 to 13 are all direct consequences of proscription.
- There is also a proscription against any form of harassment.
- Now some of the mysterious proscriptions in chapter eleven of Leviticus become more intelligible.
- Historically, proscription has been a tool of political repression, not law enforcement.
- And for all its military ventures, justified and not, since 1945, the United States had never repudiated the charter's proscription of pre-emption.
- Proscription is designed to outlaw organisations deemed a threat to national security.
- There are no provisions for banned passengers to see the accusatory information or contest their proscription.
- The proscription against physicians talking about themselves with patients comes from several different traditions.
- Religious opposition to coffee drinking resulted in political proscription a number of times during the sixteenth century.
- And even if the courts were to countermand a proscription order, the damage done to the organisation during the period of proscription could be critical.
- Guilt is the operation of law, a proscription by law, upon conduct.
- Virginia would no longer suffer such state prescriptions or proscriptions of religion.
- By the way, there is no requirement from the UN Security Council for a general proscription power to be enacted.
- The ruling also does not override state proscriptions on funding to private or religious schools.
- Historically, proscription has been used for political repression.
- Whether done by the Attorney General or a judge proscription should not be allowed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.