In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1solidariode espíritu cívico
- Where are the safeguards for those public-spirited people who call attention to low standards in high places?
- Many people pitied my commonsensical, public-spirited child for being raised by an antisocial naysayer like me.
- People generally yearn to be friendly, generous, and public-spirited - in short, altruistic.
- We are public-spirited, law-abiding citizens who should not have to pay for the hospital's shortcomings.
- One just wonders how much further matters would have gone if these public-spirited individuals not been passing by at that time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.