In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of Pueblo Indians)asentamiento indio masculino
- Until the arrival of the Spanish, the Apaches and the Pueblos had enjoyed a mercantile relationship: Pueblos traded their agricultural products and pottery to the Apaches in exchange for buffalo robes and dried meat.
- Some Pueblos, fearing Apache raiders, re-established their Spanish ties.
- Once the Pueblos regained their sovereignty, they continued that belief system.
- Navajos lived too far from the colonists, who were concentrated in the upper Rio Grande Valley, to be subjected to the disruption of their lives that the Pueblos suffered at the hands of the Spanish.
- These are things that most Pueblos traditionally keep secret, despite the prying of anthropologists and the occasional indiscretion of informants and writers.
- At one end of the Plaza, craftsmen from Native American pueblos spread out blankets filled with contemporary Jemez pottery, Hopi wooden dolls, and Santo Domingo turquoise jewelry.
- Not all Brotherhoods employ such techniques, but some do in the smaller pueblos where the communities are more close-knit and it is more difficult to keep secrets.
- The Tewa pueblos have dual village leaders, where the heads of the winter and summer moieties each exercise responsibility for half the year.
- Some pueblos are thronged with tourists at special ceremonies, but others remain closed to the public or prohibit filming and photography so as to forestall commercialism and disrespect.
- Serra also assisted in founding four presidios (military garrisons) and two pueblos.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.