In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The only real overlap is in some of the base recipes like pastry cream and puff pastry.
- Pierce bottom of puff pastry with a fork and place another 4-inch tart mold over dough to prevent rising.
- Dust both sides of puff pastry with powdered sugar, reserving excess powdered sugar.
- But this wasn't available that evening, so I went for the golden puff pastry, topped with pastry cream, caramelised nuts and served with vanilla bean ice cream.
- Indeed, I think the waiter mis-heard my order and served up the baby vegetable pot pie instead, which, for £11, was packed full of vegetables and topped with puff pastry.
- Here in France during the winter, the windows of pastry shops are lined with all sizes of Galettes de Rois, disks of caramelized puff pastry filled with almond paste.
- 350g puff pastry, or 375g sheet ready-rolled pastry, thawed if frozen
- Luscious cream in puff pastry startles with the addition of salt-laced vanilla ice cream.
- In its richness, it could stand as an emblem for the whole Oslo Court kitchen: white crab meat and mushrooms, in a rich cream-based sauce, wrapped in a purse of puff pastry with a sweet brandy sauce on the side.
- Cover each tart with a puff pastry circle and bake until the puff pastry is golden and crisp, about ten minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a circle at least 2 inches larger than casserole.
- I don't know how he made it, but it tasted like crispy puff pastry made with ground nuts instead of flour.
- The combined effect of the rolling and turning and the rise produced by the yeast is to give a pastry as light as normal puff pastry, but with a softer, richer texture and a more interesting flavour.
- It seems that lots of folks want to cut the rind off before serving, or dress it up with honey and puff pastry.
- The puff pastry slowly absorbs the sauce, and is a delight to eat at the end.
- Anyway, to cut a long rant short, ‘cover with clingfilm and chill’ is why I refuse to make my own puff pastry.
- I'd do difficult things like puff pastry or meringues.
- Using a lattice dough roller, cut one sheet puff pastry into three 2-inch circles.
- In addition to the tiny spring rolls, foie gras, and cheesy puff pastry, there's also smoked salmon with sprigs of dill on thin slices of what I believe to be pain de campagne.
- Resting atop the salad were two crescents of puff pastry filled with potatoes and cheese.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.