In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- By contrast, the last accidental tear-gassing was years ago, so feel free to leave your gas mask at home, unless you are intent on making a particularly puissant political fashion statement.
- So once again they manage to juxtapose the puissant music with the borderline puerile ideas, ensorcelling you before dropping you with an abrupt thud.
- Faith is a puissant concept, yet it is problematic in isolation.
- Methinks I see in my mind a noble and puissant nation rousing herself like a strong man after sleep, and shaking her invincible locks.
- This depiction of the relationship between reader and book seems all the more puissant in light of discussion about the ‘competition’ between technology and book culture.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.