In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of troops)retirada femenino
- This withdrawal followed on previous military pullbacks in the state.
- But he also wanted, according to the NYT, a pullback of US forces from the cities: ‘The occupation itself is a source of insecurity.’
- U.S. military officials are cautiously optimistic the move will bring calm to the besieged city, but warn the pullback is not a withdrawal or retreat.
- Coalition hard-liners have been trying to sabotage a pullback.
- He said yesterday the pullback would start immediately after a meeting in Damascus between the leaders of both countries to approve the withdrawal plan.
2(reduction)a pullback in prices/demand — una reducción en los precios/la demanda
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.