In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In fact the eggs are so local they're usually still warm from the rare breed pullets in the yard where I buy them
- Potential difficulties were solved when he caused to be constructed for himself a fine, plump, hollow pullet out of papier mâché, the breast being composed of two lids.
- This historic chick, warm golden brown, with a short bill not yet black but pinkish orange, resembles a large downy pullet with no tail.
- In the Poultry section there were classes for a pair of pullets White Wyandotte hatched the previous year, cock and hen any breed and goose or gander any breed.
- There are two main ways to acquire laying hens: as day-old chicks or as started pullets.
- If I had been better organised and focussed, I would have bought some pullets.
- The pullets had come with us in the ship from Tilbury and Tilly had fed them every day and let them out on the deck for exercise.
- Indifference to long nail-sharp spikes did not of course guarantee that one returned with a pullet.
- Congress has appropriated money to pay the farmers for their pullets and old hens.
- This lifting of the ban does not apply to point of lay pullets yet, said Norval.
- Mick Greenwood took the award for the best hen class while the prize for the best stag went to Jake Walford and the pullet class winner was Dewi Jones.
- It is therefore inappropriate of the authors to suggest that chickens store calcium as medullary bone ‘weeks, or months prior to the breeding season’ unless they are specifically referring to pullets.
- Even the furloughed convicts who boil down pine trees into turpentine in my vast forest have been receiving an extra pullet or two in their monthly rations.
- Although some references explain its etymology as being from old French hutaudeau, meaning a pullet (a young hen), the derivation was in fact hétoudeau or hétourdeau which was a capon (a fattened cock fowl).
- After about 10 weeks you can start feeding pullets (young hens) about 10 percent scratch grain (a mix of small grain and cracked corn) and 90 percent mash to lower the total protein a bit.
- That's as rancid a set of entrails as was ever extracted from a Roman pullet.
- They are wonderful eggs, gloriously random, massive great things alongside tiny pullets' eggs, round ones, tall thin ones, brown, white, speckled.
- After a breakfast of Portsoy kippers, free-range poached pullet eggs - both typical of the quality produce served at the Mountview - we met up with Kevin.
- As well as individual success for the Ancona, Mr Addison's birds also won a string of prizes at the Staffordshire show in classes for Old English Game bantams, pullets and Weaten hens.
- They buy their chickens as (non-organic) pullets, almost ready to start laying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.