In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
verbo transitivopummeled, pummelled, pummelling, pummeling
1darle una paliza aaporrear
- Perhaps you've punched your PC, pummelled your printer or severed a server; maybe you've blown a fuse trying to solve a problem while talking to tech support and threatened to break someone's legs.
- Once he tried to punch Billy and got pummeled himself.
- The door shuddered as thumping fists pummelled the wood.
- Suddenly, Lotus grabbed the guy's shirt in her fist and almost really pummeled his face in.
- Feeble fists started pummeling him, beating at his chest.
- The girl pummeled her weak fists against Rhea's back like some comic damsel-in-distress character in an old movie.
- I ran to the mirror and began pummeling it with my fist.
- I propped myself up on my knees and pummeled him with my fists.
- Then his father was lunging after the both of them, and he dodged to the side to avoid being pummeled by a fist twice the size of his hands put together.
- He no longer pummels the light punchbag that has travelled with him from home to home over the years, and these days he occasionally uses a cane to assist his progress.
- He slipped on a pair of weighted training mitts and started to belt and pummel the bag mercilessly.
- She then proceeded to pummel him with her fists.
- I ignored his yells and continued to pummel him with my fists.
- Mac was on him, a knee punching furiously into his leg, a fist pummelling into his kidneys, Mac had trained for almost every eventuality except for fighting an armed man in a small crammed lift with only his left arm.
- I pictured him walking home in the cold, or being held down and pummelled by some delinquent's fists.
- The coach got up, crawled over the glass, and began pummeling Sir Slapshot with both fists.
- The court was then told how, on May 30, Howarth caused another £100 of damage to Mr Hopkin's car after pummelling the bonnet with clenched fists.
- He rises enraged and pummels Dares mercilessly.
- She just stared furiously at me, lips twitching with something to say, fists clenched to pummel me into something similar to hospital food.
- Stroll around to your local multiplex, meanwhile, and take your pick of movies about men shooting, beating and pummelling each other into unconsciousness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.