1de Punjabdel Punjab
- The team members, who between them can speak Urdu, Punjabi, Bengali and Hindi, are based at St John's health centre in Halifax and work throughout the Calderdale area.
- ‘I will be able to let people know that I will be there at screenings to explain what is going on’ said Baljeet, who speaks Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi.
- An additional 439,239 people reported speaking other Indic languages, such as Punjabi, Bengali and Malayalam.
- While reading novels of Kanwal and Gurdial Singh, he could not always understand Malwai (a dialect of Punjabi spoken in the Malwa region) words.
- Gurmukhi is not only used by Sikhs but by Hindus as well as Muslims living in Punjab to represent their common spoken language, Punjabi.
- The plans would mean teachers speaking community languages like Urdu, Punjabi and Bangladeshi would be given preference when applying for jobs, and school notices and letters home would be translated.
- The phrasebook, produced by the British Red Cross Society for hospitals in England, is translated into 36 languages including Punjabi, Japanese, Swahili and Welsh.
- The charity has staff who can speak various languages including Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Chinese.
- They're doing them in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Greek, Gujurati, French, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Turkish, Vietnamese and Spanish.
- Sales manager for an online recruitment company Facts: She runs marathons, loves diving and speaks four Asian languages: Urdu, Bahri, Punjabi and Hindi.
- The most-requested languages so far are Asian and European languages such as Punjabi, Hindi, French, Portuguese and German.
- Mrs Kaur, who used to work at the family plumbing business Basi Gas on Leeds Road, speaks Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi and said cancer is still a taboo subject for some Asian people.
- Mr Meer said many of the trainees spoke Urdu and Punjabi, which helped them communicate with the mainly Asian residents.
- Pupil Rida Munir, six, yesterday proudly told of how she could speak three languages, Punjabi, Urdu and English.
- Flight attendants speaking Hindi and Punjabi will be available on the flights.
- Shah, who serves with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, speaks not two or three but six languages - English, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Urdu and Pashto.
- Two thirds of the pupils speak Urdu or Punjabi as their mother tongue.
- At the Sikh Sunday school, students learn to read and write Punjabi, the language of the Punjab region of India, where Sikhism was born.
- They even went to the extent of declaring that Punjabi is not a language but a dialect of Hindi.
- But you know, we were speaking in Punjabi, and Punjabi is such a language that even when you have a normal conversation in it, it sounds heated.
- At just about this time, a young man in Delhi was setting about spreading musical literacy among his fellow Punjabis - while not necessarily excluding the rest of creation.
- Even racial and ethnic subgroups divide along rigid lines - as with Sikhs or Hindus or Punjabis among the large Indian American community, or by class or immigrant status.
- The Punjabis and the Gujaratis dominate the Indian population, between them accounting for almost three quarter of all Indians.
- For all this and more, it has been the collective failure of all Punjabis - we the people, the politicians and the bureaucracy.
- The group would first use local Kashmiri militants only as helpers and guides and would keep both the armed operations as well as leadership with non-local cadre generally Punjabis from Pakistan.
- In spite of their common cultural heritage, Punjabis are now either Indians or Pakistanis by nationality.
- We noticed that Badshah Khan's references to the Pakhtuns' neighbours - Punjabis in Pakistan, Tajiks in Afghanistan, and Iranians - were not always magnanimous.
- While the Chief Minister has taken a bold stand, it remains to be seen if the Congress, which had always harmed the interests of the Punjabis, will actually work for the welfare of the state, he pointed out.
- Significantly, half of the one lakh Indians here are Punjabis, comprising 35,000 Sikhs.
- Slated as the most important annual event for the Punjabi community in Delhi, it is also one of the most eagerly awaited television events for Punjabis all over the globe.
- This book, would prove to be a great help to research scholars, and would help acquaint modern Punjabis with a person who left a lasting impact on society.
- Pakistan was divided into two portions: West Pakistan (containing Pathans, Panjabis, Beluchis) & East Pakistan (containing the Bengalis).
- The Balochi nationalists have been critical of the induction of a large number of Punjabis and Pashtuns into the province to work in this project.
- Bhangra legend Gurdas Maan is known for his hard-hitting songs about young Punjabis losing touch with their culture, and other sensitive issues such as political and religious corruption.
- The Bengalis of East Pakistan were encouraged, in fact forced, to secede from Pakistan because with them around, the Punjabis stood no chance of calling the shots in a united Pakistan.
- Troubles, of course, were not new to Punjab or the Punjabis.
- Unlike Punjabis or Gujaratis, Malayalis could never settle down in a place away from their homeland.
- They simply don't have the skills or education to compete with the Punjabis, with their money and business instincts and garish, brightly-lit shops.
- The South Indian has a generally prejudiced view of Punjabis and Punjabi culture.
- In fact, the Punjabis are no longer considered outsiders, Punjabi signboards are seen even at the British High Commission visa gate.