In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For pure wool it's also lovely and soft and I won't have to wear anything underneath to stop scratchiness.
- As for material, pure cotton is a very good choice for a tropical climate.
- Both the wild and the cultivated balsams are found in varied colours such as red, blue, yellow, pink, purple and white, either in a pure or mixed form.
- Thin films are simply not as good as pure bulk materials, even if they are cheaper, so it's incredibly important to make sure that the very most is made of the incoming light.
- Liquor sales as measured in pure alcohol have increased by three per cent during the first nine months of the trial aimed at reducing grog related harm in Alice Springs.
- The analysis revealed that iron constituted less than 1 percent of the material, indicating essentially pure rhodochrosite.
- All of these markets have exacting requirements for pure uncontaminated raw material.
- Primary standards are usually aqueous-based and consist of weighed-in amounts of pure materials.
- As it is today, this is pure sit-com material and most respectable sit-com writers would shy away from such clichéd and hackneyed situations.
- When examined, the container was found to contain 32 pallets each containing four, 45-gallon drums of pure alcohol.
- When a solid is made up of a pure substance and forms slowly, it can become a crystal.
- This tactile, sensual experience was made more poignant by the knowledge that these substances were pure, unalloyed, irreducible.
- The British drink two gallons of pure alcohol per person per year: more than almost all other Westerners.
- The term extinction coefficients describes the absorbance spectra of a single pure substance at known concentrations.
- The material was a pure iron that had been embedded in the plants while the iron was still molten.
- White-sand soil is almost pure quartz material derived from sediments that are more than 570 million years old.
- One popular extinguisher material is pure carbon dioxide.
- The Hantex showroom has a big collection of kasavu saris, dhotis, furnishing materials as well as pure cotton products at affordable prices.
- The material felt like pure silk, completely smooth.
- I said I worked on semiconductor materials, where very pure crystals of, for example, silicon, are grown.
1.2(absolute)(chance/nonsense/pleasure) puroit was pure accident that … — fue por pura casualidad que …
- it's negligence pure and simple — se trata de negligencia, lisa / simple y llanamente
- ‘Good,’ she continued sweetly, and then he blinked as her expression morphed into pure and utter anger.
- They have done so as a result of pure graft and sheer talent.
- It is in fact just a chain of events, brought about by pure chance that forms the raison d' être for this result.
- I found it by pure chance and I ask you all humbly to please go read and consider helping this man in a time of real need.
- For a moment, his anger concentrated on pure, soulless insatiable carnal hunger and desire, which was the cause of all his suffering.
- Kimberley gaped in disbelief and what looked like pure fury at the sheer bitchiness of the other girl in the room, and Clay was seeing red as I stood up.
- Like all caricatures, this book overstates its case about the contribution of pure chance to scientific breakthroughs.
- He saw it in his eyes, the pure utter anger that Noriel had for his son, and suddenly he felt it.
- On my first day at work, by pure chance my work was having a ‘think tank’ conference for the day at a conference centre in the city.
- Finding your golf ball in there is quite simply a case of pure chance.
- He appears to be unable to grasp the difference between receiving money through pure chance and through inheritance.
- An inquiry launched by Barnsley health chiefs concluded there was no link between the deaths and it appeared to be pure chance that the cluster had appeared.
- My face, I'm sure, is that of pure terror and anger right now.
- Arendri who had never raised his voice like that in pure absolute anger had just bit the head off of the one person they all despised.
- By pure chance, I also received a letter from the UK today.
- Two escapees once stumbled upon the oasis by a sheer chance and pure luck, thus becoming the parents of the somber population.
- To ignore this is to run your business on a wing and a prayer, which is pure chance and takes your destiny out of your own hands.
- Then began three months of hard work, and long nights mixed with sheer panic and pure delight that this project was becoming a reality.
- And what he saw to his sheer amazement was pure anger.
- It's way more punk, way more lyrical, but more than all, it's rooted in despair and sheer rage and pure joy in celebrating humanity.
1.3(not applied)(mathematics/science) puro
- Prosser studied pure maths at Aberystwyth and might have gone into teaching if the money had not persuaded him to become an actuary like his brother.
- Pure academic research and big science attract an even different personality type.
- I've done a small amount of summer research in physics and I'm uncertain if pure physics research is something I'd enjoy doing for another 3 or 4 years.
- The pure mathematician abstracts from physical situations certain quantitative aspects of bodies and their relations, and deals exclusively with these aspects.
- Much of university research was pure research that had no obvious application at all at the time of its funding.
- The intervening years had seen advances in the study of pure biology at the microscopic level in parallel with advances in genetics.
- I tend to think that the separation of application and pure research is the hallmark of poor ethics.
- But I operate in the sphere of practical politics not pure economic theory.
- The more think tanks become concerned about shaping the political agenda, the less time they can focus on pure research.
- There is always a tension between the pursuit of pure academic research and the demands of society at large.
- I believe in both the pure research & practical application of encryption theory.
- It was a platform both for engineering and systems development studies and for pure scientific research.
- Valerie and Noel Trezise will offer you a wide range of pure sweet natural honey free of additives or preservatives.
- One of the psychics passed around a canteen full of clean, pure water, which Veon accepted gratefully.
- In a new bowl, place one pound of sugar with pure clean water.
- The success of destroying all microorganisms capable of growing in canned food is based on the temperature obtained in pure steam, free of air, at sea level.
- Its light began to fade away, and kept fading until they were just looking at a pail full of pure, unpolluted water.
- If the water has strange smell, you should use pure bottled water.
- He fought tenaciously for pure water, clean air, and the free use of condoms on the NHS.
- Care was taken to use pure water in the chamber because most contaminants tend to lower the water vapor pressure.
- I still haven't got to the bottom of it, but my guess is that it was the heady combination of utterly pure water and deliciously clean air.
- Thousands of restoration projects in rural areas need millions of trees to provide clean air, pure water, and improved wildlife habitat.
- Announce prizes like free tankers of pure water till the end of summer and free coaching for IIT foundation and medicine foundation.
- In the 17th century a well was discovered on Ilkley Moor, according to folklore, by a shepherd who bathed his injured leg in the water and the pure water cleaned the wound and cured him!
- It is very important to find quality water filters so that you can drink clean and pure water.
- You start with water and end with water, pure and unpolluting.
- The Government schemes to provide pure drinking water has not benefited the people living in the remote villages.
- Where is the crystal clear, pure, unpolluted water that once characterized the river as well as most shallow wells in the area?
- He adopted a mostly vegetarian diet, cutting out sugar and saturated fat, taking antioxidants, herbal and soy supplements and drinking tons of pure water and green tea.
- Organic meat is from animals that have been raised on a pure organic diet feed and pasture.
- Growing wild in the pure and unpolluted waters of W. Ireland, the watercress is of exceptional quality.
- While driving along the winding and narrow Norwegian roads alongside a fjord we came to a massive glacier towering across the clearest expanse of pure turquoise water.
- We need to be morally upright, like chaste virgins before God, pure and clean.
- Power always brings the need to compromise one's ideals, so what right had Benn to claim after the event that he remained pure and untainted?
- This spell is the ultimate technique that can be used only by those who have a pure and untainted soul.
- Our country needs men with ‘clean’ hands, pure hearts and a vision for the future, clearly written in honesty and integrity.
- But Lincoln gets no credit for the Civil War and the Emancipation Proclamation, because he didn't do it out of the pure goodness of his heart?
- From this standpoint, rural people and their culture represent a negation of everything that is wholesome and pure about nature.
- This is where the deepest transformation can take place, untainted and pure.
- It is possible even in the midst of intense illness and the dying process to contact this fundamentally pure and wholesome state of mind.
- My heart is pure and unsullied by such base, unromantic notions.
- She smelled like sorrow, and bitterness, and pain had never touched her, leaving her pure and untainted.
- It can only be banished by a maiden of pure heart and the daughter of Zeus so Rena must be present
- Give us courage, O Lord, in the face of danger, keep us pure in heart, clean in mind, and strong in purpose.
- What I do know within my heart is that the light from the source is untainted and pure, and I call it divine love.
- Though he was not stupid, nor naïve, I told myself that he was like a child, ears, heart and mind pure and untainted with the thought of bloodshed and abuse.
- Rather, they represent a genuine science of mind, a science of insight that uncovers the pure nature of the mind and world that we experience.
- He personified the pure, blissful soul nature they sought and sensed as the center of themselves.
- Your father was a handsome well-built man, pure of heart.
- Unicorns are renowned for their pickiness, only allowing human and elfin maidens of pure heart to ride them.
- Children are just the best thing there ever can be, the essence of innocence, their pure little hearts and minds not yet infected by our corrupt cold world.
- Why the attraction to athletes who are still pure and untainted and don't have big, you know, contracts?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.