In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(intention, reason)propósito masculinointención femeninowhat was your purpose in doing it? — ¿qué pretendías / qué te proponías con eso?
- I came here with the purpose of visiting my family — vine con el propósito / la intención de visitar a mi familia
- a woman with a purpose in life — una mujer con una meta / un norte en la vida
- for a purpose
- I left the door open for a purpose — por algo / por alguna razón dejé la puerta abierta
- he is here for a purpose — está aquí por una razón
- for one's own purposes — por su (or mi etc.) propio interés
- the machine is good enough for our purposes — la máquina sirve para lo que nos proponemos hacer con ella
- for the purposes of this experiment — para este experimento
- for all practical purposes — a efectos prácticos
- There is a palpable new confidence and sense of purpose in the squad.
- He checked into rehab, straightened out his head and re-emerged with a new sense of purpose.
- How he handles the tabloid tales and maintains a higher sense of purpose could be his key to a happy and fulfilled life.
- We need to infuse our global leadership with a new sense of purpose and lasting resolve.
- Stalin expanded the system for the purpose of creating a massive labour pool.
- Maybe the training workshop has a secondary purpose, which is to give some of us the space to let off steam.
- He is a great man to turn up year after year and his stamina and sense of purpose is unequalled.
- It strikes me that Tunstall has two important attributes in life: sense of purpose and lack of fear.
- The student said the purpose of the meeting was to discuss how Massad could be kicked off campus.
- If you've made an effort, you should explain the purpose and the reason behind it.
- Learned grown-ups and leaders have to move with a sense of purpose, in a fixed direction.
- A powerful sense of purpose and contemporary relevance drives the website.
- Thus the reasons for and the purpose behind a person's detention are all-important.
- The trust has decided to rename it Chorister's House to reflect the original purpose of the building.
- They understood the purpose of the meeting was to discuss incorporating a new company.
- Duncan Smith has approached the past week with the focus and sense of purpose to be expected of a former Scots Guard.
- Looking within ourselves, we are immediately aware of our own sense of purpose and destiny.
- It was in imparting this knowledge that teachers gained their sense of purpose.
- This is a reasonable choice, keeping in mind the purpose of the Act to promote animal welfare.
- The midfield pairing provided Rangers with a dynamic, unrelenting sense of purpose.
- Strong traditions can give you guidance, a sense of belonging and a sense of purpose in life.
- It is grossly unfair and it is defeating the purpose of these meetings.
- As we used registries created for other purposes, the data should be unbiased.
- He appealed to the teachers to inculcate human values and a sense of purpose in life among children.
- Can you talk about who your viewers are, what audience, or for whom are you making a film, if such a purpose exists?
- It is a self-conscious feeling of insecurity about their own status and sense of purpose in society today.
- There, amid the danger and terrible conditions, he found a new sense of purpose.
- The soldiers of the Bengal Army might have been disgruntled but they were well led and were fired by a sense of purpose.
- They concluded in terms that she would not be prepared to attend any meeting save for the purpose of her reinstatement.
- There's a high degree of trust, a very high degree of camaraderie and sense of purpose.
- That gave him his certainty of purpose and defined the purpose of his politics.
- The law says your used car must be of satisfactory quality, as described and reasonably fit for its purpose.
- The majority of his subject paintings concern childhood, frequently with a moral purpose.
- What is reasonable in a given case depends on the purpose for which the bail is demanded.
- Ball believes the high rate of share ownership has contributed to a strong sense of purpose.
- Remember that Kant emphasized formal features and the idea of purposiveness without a purpose.
- The prosecution case was that the purpose of the meetings was to facilitate money laundering.
- Nor did they change my understanding as to what the purpose of the meeting had been.
- It was created for the purpose of promoting advancement and prosperity of our continent.
- In short it has no sense of purpose and responds to the glare of scrutiny like a deer caught in the head lights.
1.2(use)what's the purpose of this button? — ¿para qué sirve / qué función tiene este botón?
- it has no real purpose, it's simply for decoration — no sirve para nada en especial, es simplemente decorativo
- to serve a (useful) purpose — servir de algo
- prolonging the debate would serve no useful purpose — prolongar el debate no serviría de / para nada
- he complained, and to some purpose, because later he was promoted — se quejó, y de algo sirvió, porque luego lo ascendieron
2(resolution)determinación femeninoshe has great strength of purpose — tiene gran determinación
- to have a/no sense of purpose — tener/no tener una meta / un norte en la vida
1to purpose to + inf — planear + inf
- It is asserted that God, purposing to reveal himself to persons, ‘speaks to them in human words.’
- This artful temple was purposed to inspire, still and deeply touch the traveller.
- You must repent of any callous attitude to the right use of the means God has purposed to accomplish his will.
- Informal or intimate talk is purposed to establish and maintain social contacts with others, making social connections, developing and reinforcing intimate relationships.
- One is left to wonder if there is any shred of piety remaining in the one institution God purposed to be a life-long union but is being defiled at will.
- That is the destination he has purposed for redeemed sinners.
- Situated in the heart of Lusaka's Chawama township, the Chawama Youth Project has purposed to change the lives of unemployed youths into viable self-reliant and respectable people.
- This lane is purposed to speed the transport of vehicles who were deliberate about pooling resources, and conserving time and energy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.