In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(amount)cantidad femeninoa large/small quantity of grain — una gran/pequeña cantidad de grano
- in quantity — en grandes cantidades
- If scholarship is measured by quantity, quality is sacrificed.
- ‘The cost of any project is a measure of quality times quantity,’ he says.
- The quantity of building material must be able to withstand the expected traffic.
- A consensus was reached during the workshop that both the quality and quantity of raw materials were a source of great concern in the leather industry of the Eastern and Southern African region.
- In this study, the extent of reduction in seed production due to insufficient pollen quantity and quality were examined in a naturally pollinated M. stellata population.
- Whether wanting is measured in quality or quantity depends entirely on the individuals concerned.
- However, this quantity cannot be directly estimated.
- We estimated the total quantity of protein in the gland by using the BioRad color photometric method.
- What Holford has done is invent a new system called Glycaemic Load or GL, which measures quantity of sugar as well as quality.
- The survey also measured levels of air pollution, quality and quantity of drinking water and sewage.
- His mathematical work, though not large in quantity, was first-rate in quality.
- In Scotland, it is quality not quantity that has to count.
- The groups did not differ significantly with respect to any of the measures of semen quantity and quality.
- However, there was not sufficient quantity of material to make up one full load of slab.
- The competition is certainly hotting up in the mobile market, but at the moment the expansion is more about quantity than quality.
- The label should indicate the insulation material, R-value, quantity, and the name and address of the manufacturer or distributor.
- This was true across a wide range of ages in healthy adults and in several measures of sleep quantity and sleep quality.
- The total quantity of materials required to complete the development will be about 1.25 million cubic metres.
- The company, over the last few years, had shifted its focus from quantity and volumes to quality and design.
- The 1920s brought the great bull market in which the value and quantity of stocks traded soared.
1.2quantities plural(lots)cantidades femenino
- If you buy cereal in bulk quantities the shelf height should be 18 inches.
- I just collect items until they become bulk quantity.
- Bulk quantities of spices can be accommodated in a storage system that will hold these items in large containers.
- The fatal fraud was the result of his action in buying quantities of shares in a distilling firm in an effort to shore up the share price.
- During the raids police seized personal belongings, documents, drugs paraphernalia, a quantity of crack cocaine and a small amount of cannabis.
- Mass quantities of Harlequin Valentine ship today from Dark Horse, just in time for Valentine's Day.
- Locally, some traders have bought quantities of genuine Livestrong bands and are selling them on at a profit.
- The judge said that police found 35.2g cannabis, evidence of his attempts at drug horticulture and a quantity of money when they raided his home.
- Well, there were quantities of that drug missing from the hospital during the time these people were dying.
- The search is due to continue today with Gardaí confident of uncovering more quantities of the drug.
- Entropy is a very difficult physical quantity to understand.
- An ellipse is a flattened circle, and the degree of flatness is indicated by a numerical quantity called eccentricity, abbreviated e.
- The ‘Richardson number’, a fundamental quantity involving gradients of temperature and wind velocity is named after him.
- De triangulis is in five books, the first of which gives the basic definitions: quantity, ratio, equality, circles, arcs, chords, and the sine function.
- Those ratios are the same for both quantity and value.
- The heat absorbed or released in a reaction depends on a quantity called enthalpy, represented by the capital letter H.
- This quantity is called the Mean Square of the velocity.
- In other words, it was not spontaneously obvious in earlier cultures that zero is a quantity that could be represented.
- The quantity / N depends strongly on the scaled mutation parameter M and on whether the number of loci is limiting.
- Another important quantity is the clustering coefficient C of a vertex.
- The quantity w represents the average fitness of the population at equilibrium.
2.2(of word, syllable)cantidad femenino
- In phonetics, the sense of movement in speech consists of the stress, quantity, and timing of syllables.
- The phonetic theory includes the analysis and classification of speech sounds generally and of the sounds of English in particular; sound grouping, accentual features, quantity, junction, assimilation, intonation; questions may also be asked on the teaching of English pronunciation.
- In speech, this feature is reflected in phonological quantity.
- This study investigates the realisation of phonological quantity in the dialects of Modern Swedish, based on a corpus containing recordings from 86 locations in Sweden and the Swedish-speaking parts of Finland.
- The most obvious common phonetic feature may be the linguistically distinctive quantity in both vowels and consonants.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.