In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1retribución femeninoif I do this for you, what's the quid pro quo? — si te hago eso ¿qué recibo yo en retribución / a cambio?
- Regulators step up punishments for firms that cross the line into illegal behavior, while long-acceptable practices now are derided as unseemly quid pro quos.
- Finally, quid pro quos and veiled threats were utilized in an attempt to persuade.
- That was indiscreet, but you'd have to be very naïve not to imagine that there are a lot of implicit quid pro quos out there.
- The flurry of quid pro quos and dirty deals has all the dignity of mobsters divvying up the spoils.
- And I think the question, also, that we have to look at is, what kind of quid pro quos are made to have a coalition like this?
- The American government reached similar quid pro quos with France and Russia, involving oil contracts as well as telecommunications deals.
- Behind the scenes, the tacitly understood tradeoffs amount to quid pro quos.
- Negotiate in good faith first, and look at quid pro quos (such as aquaculture licenses), rather than using the hammer of forcible acquisition.
- It does seem, however, that the deal entails some interesting quid pro quos.
- Such an approach might still allow real limitations, especially to fight the quid pro quos, or the appearance thereof, that are associated with five- and six-figure contributions.
- Until last year, I would have insisted public radio stations were immune from quid pro quos.
- Some investment bankers exacted kickbacks and other quid pro quos from clients who got shares.
- Our duty is to make Hong Kong a better place for us all, without hidden agendas or quid pro quos.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.