In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1edredón masculinoacolchado masculino Río de la Platacobija femenino Méxicocontinental quilt — edredón (nórdico) masculino
- A special thanks to Angie Hayes who came up with the idea and the design for the quilt, purchased the materials and made the templates.
- Our room was waiting - window flung open onto a little garden, pink washed walls, faded quilts, towels smelling of fresh air.
- She buried herself even deeper in the warm quilts.
- Last Saturday's Airing of the Quilts at Northampton was a crafty affair, with 250 handmade quilts lining the main street.
- Father stirred fretfully, trying to throw off the heavy quilts.
- She could feel the warm quilt wrapping her body, cushioning her bruises.
- The two had their own rooms on a king-size bed that had a firm mattress but soft, fluffy pillows with a huge warm quilt and light sheets.
- He slept on bracken, the only concession to comfort a down quilt and a patch of woollen red plaid, often seen wrapped around him as he went about his business.
- The next morning, she was fast asleep in her warm bed under an old quilt.
- I roll over, snuggling deeper into the warm quilts, hoping to slip back into sleep.
- A homemade quilt is more than a covering to keep people warm; it is a form of folk art - part of our heritage recalling the ingenuity and creativity of our pioneers.
- He had a quilt to keep him warm while he traveled and has a family waiting for him when he arrives at Walter Reed Army Medical center.
- Nothing I like more than being warm and cosy under a 2-layered 15 tog quilt.
1(bedspread) acolchar(bedspread) acolchonar(bedspread) guatear España
- There were also quilted and block-printed jackets on show.
- Why would someone go to the trouble of quilting a piece already ‘quilted’?
- We quilted the covers with parallel lines of stitching, 2 1/2 inches apart; you can omit the quilting if you prefer.
- These quilts, which had been pieced by Mama's mother, and then quilted by her and her sister, had been tucked away, put in reserve, and not because they were being temporarily stored for the summer.
- Now, I knit only a bit and spend more time quilting, joining a guild a few years ago.
- Reupholstering an existing armchair and draping a round table with pale ivory quilted fabric adapted them to the updated color palette.
- It features a 100% anti-pill polyester micro fleece upper lining and quilted nylon lower lining and sleeves.
- Occasionally, a stenciled bedcover was pieced with traditional quilt blocks but was not quilted.
- Part of the popularity of stripy quilts was due to the ease with which they could be planned and made - broad strips sewn together by machine then quilted with patterns that only had to fit into a strip width.
- The fabric is quilted diagonally and is well suited to a barn jacket styling.
2quilted past participle(jacket/headboard) acolchado(jacket/headboard) acolchonado(headboard/jacket) guateado España
1hacer acolchadoenguatar España
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.