In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1por excelenciapor antonomasiathe quintessential gentleman — el caballero por excelencia / antonomasia
- Symbolically, his roles represented the quintessential dissident.
- The first movie, made in 1969, was the quintessential British caper film of the 1960s.
- We shall consider each in turn and then discuss the quintessential example of the problem.
- Whatever his faults and many quirks, Monty is the quintessential team player.
- I believe Antonio is the quintessential Montrealer because Montreal is a quirky city.
- They have been described as the quintessential English pop group, with a string of hits bemoaning late-teen angst.
- My visit to this restaurant represented the quintessential contemporary Irish dining experience.
- I suppose the waterfront dispute is the quintessential example, but that is only one amongst many.
- These comprise the quintessential sights and sounds of Maritime coastal communities.
- John properly described Bill as the quintessential English gentleman and he will be much missed by everyone.
- So any mandatory reading list for young women should include at least one quintessential guy book.
- The first point that should be made about Collins is that he is the quintessential army man.
- It is also the ideal place to go for a quintessential English-style tea.
- He is the quintessential storyteller, who likes to write his tale and have it read.
- With knock-knees and pigeon toes, he was not your quintessential runner, but he trained like a demon.
- The quintessential banned record: its notoriety took it to number one.
- He is the quintessential tragic music teacher, wild hair and too many kittens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.