In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jornada de carreras femenino
- Four tonnes of foliage is needed to build each of the 16 fences that feature in the three-day race meeting.
- At the February race meeting a fundraising event for Barretstown was organised and this will be expanded next year.
- Riders forced the expensive cancellation of a race meeting at Sandown, after making their point by boycotting it.
- Wherever the race meeting, whatever the horse, he couldn't resist the allure of placing a bet.
- When you think about it, people spend more time at a race meeting than at any other mainstream sports event.
- There are few sights quite like Ladies' Day at Aintree's Grand National race meeting.
- While the race meeting was blighted by poor weather at the start of the week, today's predicted heatwave has prompted concerns over traffic queues around York.
- The October race meeting in Galway goes ahead next weekend.
- Apparently a race meeting went horribly wrong and the whole city's traffic gridlocked for six months.
- The race meeting attracted a crowd of 27,361 people, up by 170 on last year.
- Three years later at a race meeting I met him again.
- The course was built at Ascot in 1711 on her orders, and the first race meeting was held there on Saturday, August 11 of that year.
- Waterford and Tramore racecourse hosted the first New Year's Day race meeting, the only race meeting held in Europe that day.
- Have you ever been in the stands at a race meeting when ‘your’ horse is neck and neck on that last half furlong?
- Wind and rain brought out the brollies and raincoats at Knavesmire yesterday as the May race meeting got under way.
- There are some restrictions on the opening times of pubs in Tadcaster as many race-goers are expected to return to the brewery town after the race meeting.
- Catterick race meeting on Saturday, the biggest of the National Hunt season at the course, is under threat from frost and flooding.
- Record crowds flocked to the Ebor race meeting.
- The first race meeting at Ascot was on Saturday 11 August 1711.
- A crowd of more than 2000 went to the race meeting, making it the second biggest event on the Lismore racing calendar.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.