In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(stadium)hipódromo masculinoEpsom racecourse — el hipódromo de Epsom
- This racecourse, which is the home of steeplechasing, is the greatest jumps racecourse on earth.
- The media expects all training gallops on a racecourse to be made public so gamblers are informed.
- Last year, the event was held at Goodwood racecourse and pitted Europe against the Middle East.
- Meanwhile, Ascot racecourse is to unveil their plans for a major redevelopment on Thursday.
- When I listened to his commentaries, I was in the Grandstand at whatever racecourse with him watching it in glorious colour!
- The seven-year-old is scheduled to prep for the race on Sunday in the Tenno Sho at Tokyo racecourse.
- Australian racecourses are encouraged ‘to make owners feel like royalty on race day’ and owners have gained a boost in financial incentives such as purses and appearance fees.
- A new horsemen's group is to be established by owners and trainers based in Great Britain with the intention of collaborating with racecourses over the sale of media rights and other joint commercial ventures.
- Horse Racing Ireland has put together a rescue package to save one of the country's most famous racecourses, Punchestown near Dublin, from closure.
- There is to be a precautionary inspection at Exeter racecourse at 7.30 am tomorrow to decide if racing can go ahead.
- The team will travel to Naas racecourse for a race meeting and dinner.
- Situated in Sussex, Goodwood is arguably the most picturesque racecourse in the UK.
- We look forward to working with the racecourses to maximize this opportunity for racing.
- It is intended to have this unveiled at Ballybrit racecourse during the July race meeting this year.
- Up to 30 people turned up at Sligo racecourse last week to take on the challenge of running a mile in four minutes.
- The following day she was a winner after taking her career debut at Hoppegarten racecourse in Germany.
- However, his link with the venue does not end there - he is also a director of Goodwood racecourse.
- They also get a weekly newsletter with stable visits and racecourse trips also organised.
- In early November, he sustained a minor injury at Flemington racecourse in his final career race.
- Gatemen know me at any racecourse and I find that very nice indeed.
2(track)pista (de carreras) femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.