In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1also horse racingcarreras de caballos femenino(commentator/correspondent) (before noun) hípicoin racing circles — en círculos hípicos
- to be a racing certainty — ser de cajón
- it's a racing certainty that he'll be there — es de cajón que va a estar allí
- He also was charged with giving misleading evidence to stewards and bringing racing into disrepute.
- A snowstorm wiped out live racing at five tracks in the Eastern United States on Sunday.
- Britain's first new racecourse for 60 years is odds-on to showcase top-flight racing.
- The event remains the only occasion in British racing where every horse taking part wins prize money.
- Nowhere is variety more the spice of life than when it comes to British racing, much to the envy of everyone else.
- Live racing is scheduled to resume at both facilities on Saturday.
- For maximum excitement and variety a mixed card of flat, hurdle and steeplechase racing has been organised.
- He denied any allegation of race fixing but is due to face a Jockey Club charge of bringing racing into disrepute next month, which he denies.
- The decision to resume both live racing and simulcasting will be made as soon as power is restored to the Miami track.
- While there is no doubt that racing will be the focus of the day, racecourse chiefs have lots in store to keep the younger members of the family amused.
- Turf racing is scheduled to run through the third week of November and may go longer, weather permitting.
- He was a keen amateur jockey and horse breeder who used his time as chairman of the Australian Jockey Club to revise the rules of racing - revisions that were later adopted nationally.
- Jump racing is one of the most dangerous sports that exist and all sorts of drama and injury lurk around the corner.
- The Downs has not conducted live racing since 1997 and shut down the following season due to financial trouble.
- In the last six months, the landscape of Washington racing has changed dramatically.
- Additionally, they say that racing should be taxed as an ordinary business.
- His feeling for the track and racing came through very clearly, but again it was understated.
- Live racing was scheduled to return with five-race turf-only cards on Sunday and Monday.
- There's a long heritage of racing in Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati.
- Redevelopment of the site will result in the end of live racing there, a feature of the fair since 1951.
2(sport, pastime)carreras femenino
- Yacht racing has been described as a hole in the ocean you throw money into!
- On the competitive side of racing, no other current driver has three Winston Cup trophies.
- Luck influences the outcome of an event in auto racing more than in any other sport.
- The sport of pigeon racing is built around a central mystery: the strange homing instinct of the pigeon.
- Dragon boat racing is a Chinese sport that has its origins about 2400 years ago.
- Around 45 percent of competitive kart racing is done by youths.
- There are soccer and basketball teams, and camel racing is a popular spectator sport.
- The track at millennium park provides the ideal opportunity for those interested in stepping into competitive racing.
- American Le Mans Series sports car racing is not the only competition on the track.
- Even the yacht racing will be within the urban area, clearly visible from a myriad Sydney Harbour hills and vantage points: both firsts for an Olympiad.
- Sulky racing normally involves one human and one horse
- Rally racing has been a sports phenomenon that has gripped the Europeans, but not North Americans.
- By nature, automobile racing is the most technological of sports.
- Dirt bike racing is a contact sport that can take away lives thus extra protection and precaution must be taken into consideration.
- But he finally made the decision to end 20 years of high-level competitive racing after a race in Peterborough.
- I've lost movement in my left shoulder; physically I'm not up to competitive racing.
1(car/bicycle/dog) de carrera(s)(yacht) de regata(circuit) de carreras(circuit) automovilístico(driver) de carreras(pigeon) mensajero(pigeon) de carreras
- Just as I was leaving, the rain stopped and for a brief time the sun emerged from behind the racing clouds.
- The wind was howling through the trees, the sky was overcast with heavy racing clouds, and one or two large drops of rain proclaimed the approach of a storm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.