- Synthesis of the heavier transuranic elements, as well as of radioisotopes of the natural elements, is sometimes included under the broader umbrella of chemical synthesis.
- The radioactive tracer evaluated for this study, known by the brand name Zemiva, links a fatty acid to a radioisotope which is injected in the patient.
- In essence, the process involves binding a radioisotope to a compound that has a specific affinity for an organ or region of the body.
- In cardiology, perfusion to cardiac tissue can be studied using radioisotopes such as N13 ammonia.
- In 1934 he used a radioisotope of phosphorus to study how human tissue absorbs phosphate.